The benefits of orthodontic treatment often go beyond the obvious physical changes of an improved bite and straighter teeth. it’s also a great way to improve a person’s overall self-image. While having beautiful straight teeth is important, even more important, is the need to alleviate any potential health problems associated with the teeth or jaw. Crooked teeth or jaw problems may contribute to improper cleaning of teeth, leading to tooth decay, and possibly, gum disease, or total tooth loss.
Orthodontic problems that go untreated can lead to chewing and digestion difficulties, speech impairments, and abnormal wear of tooth surfaces. Over time, excessive strain on gum tissue and the bone that supports the teeth, can affect the jaw joints and lead to problems such as headaches, or face and neck pain.
“This is a fantastic, clean and professional facility. The dentist does not try to force sell anything. Very pleased. It is really a breath of fresh air to be able to get work done without getting pressured. He is very gentle and he got rid of an issue that I had tried to get another dentist to do years ago and they wanted to do other stuff ‘first’. I can’t say enough good things about this provider. Highly recommend, and I hate dentists.” 🙂
The American Association of Orthodontics recommends that children get an orthodontic evaluation no later than age 7. Though orthodontic treatment can be done at any age, timely treatment ensures maximum dental health.
With all of the recent advancements in orthodontics, wearing braces has never been easier. State-of-the-art treatments are now available. From traditional metal braces, to clear and tooth-colored brackets, to NASA type wires that are heat activated and require fewer adjustments! Some patients may even be candidates for treatment with Invisalign, a revolutionary way to straighten teeth using clear, retainer type aligners that require no braces or wires!
If treatment is necessary, Dr. Huang will thoroughly discuss which treatment option is best suited for you!
Find Out More About Our Orthodontic Procedures
Reasons for orthodontic treatment (braces) for adults & children:
- Breathing or swallowing problems – Mouth breathing can lead to snoring and sleep apnea.
- Crossbite – One or more upper teeth bite inside the lower teeth (towards the tongue).
- Crowding – Involving extra teeth or malpositioned teeth.
- Deep Overbite – The lower front teeth bite into the upper tissue of the upper teeth.
- Disfiguring of the face & mouth – Affects the development of the jaw and position of the teeth.
- Jaw & jaw joint pain
- Missing or extra teeth – Due to tooth decay, injuries, or inherited problems.
- Overjet (protruding upper teeth) – Upper teeth that protrude beyond normal are usually associated with a short lower jaw.
- Self-image – An attractive smile can boost a person’s self-image and confidence.
- Spacing between teeth – When teeth are missing or may be too small or too large.
- Speech, chewing or biting problems
- Underbite (lower jaw protrusion) – When the lower jaw is longer than the upper jaw.
Specific to children:
- Finger or thumb sucking –These habits can cause protrusion of the upper incisor teeth, and mouth breathing.
What does orthodontic treatment involve?
Orthodontic treatment involves three phases:
- Planning Phase – Your first couple of visits may include the following:
- A medical and dental history evaluation.
- Castings or “molds” of your teeth.
- Computer generated photograph of the head and neck that will aid in planning.
- Photographs of your face and mouth.
- X-rays of the teeth and jaws.
After careful planning, your orthodontist will design and apply braces or fabricate custom-made appliances for you.
- Active Phase – Active treatment involves visiting your orthodontist on a regular basis for adjustments and following specific treatment requirements to ensure successful treatment.
- Retention Phase – When treatment is completed, the braces and/or appliances are removed and a new appliance is made. Usually, these retainers are removable and will maintain the changes made to your teeth if worn continuously until the teeth and bone are stabilized in their new positions.
Treatment and retention times vary depending on each individual case. Dr. Huang will ensure you have a successful treatment for a beautiful smile that can last a lifetime. Orthodontics can not only help straighten your teeth by giving you an appealing smile, but can greatly contribute to the health of your jaw, teeth, and sometimes overall health.
Contact All In One Dental today!
If you reside in Dublin, CA or anywhere in the bat area and have more questions about braces, please do not hesitate to contact our dentist office at (925) 828-9811. We would love to go over orthodontic braces options that are right for you and your family. You can also easily request an appointment online.
All In One Dental is located at 7046 Dublin Blvd, Dublin, CA 94568