Notice: Undefined index: custom_padding in /var/www/vhosts/allin1.ehost-services226.com/allin1dental.com/wp-content/themes/Divi/includes/builder/class-et-builder-element.php on line 8973
What is root canal therapy?
When a tooth is badly infected and at risk for future damage or decay, sometimes a root canal can be the best option for you. This option would allow you to be able to keep your original tooth without having to get it extracted. Dr. James Huang specializes in root canal therapy so he is able to save the original tooth, clear out any infection inside the tooth, and restore the original tooth so it can be used and as functional as before, only without the pain!
“This is a fantastic, clean and professional facility. The dentist does not try to force sell anything. Very pleased. It is really a breath of fresh air to be able to get work done without getting pressured. He is very gentle and he got rid of an issue that I had tried to get another dentist to do years ago and they wanted to do other stuff ‘first’. I can’t say enough good things about this provider. Highly recommend, and I hate dentists.” 🙂Ginger B.
What are the symptoms of an infected tooth?
Many symptoms that require root canal therapy can be very similar to other types of tooth pain. The most common symptoms that may require root canal treatment are:
- Abscess (a pocket of pus that is formed from an infection).
- Sensitivity to cold or hot. This includes food and drink.
- Severe pain or a toothache.
- Tenderness, redness, swelling.
What causes this to happen?
There are many different reasons why a tooth might need a root canal. A root canal is necessary when the pulp (the inside of your tooth containing the connecting tissues and nerves) becomes infected or inflamed. This can happen for a variety of reasons. The most common reasons are:
- Previous dental work on the tooth.
- Faulty previous crowns.
- Deep decay.
- Trauma to the tooth. This might not always be visible. If a tooth has trauma and is not treated properly, it can cause inflammation and later spread to the pulp of the tooth. If a tooth has any trauma to it, even if there is not visible chips or cracks, make an appointment with Dr. Huang to make sure there is no underlying damage.
What should I expect when I get a root canal? Should I be scared?
Root canals have a stigma around them that make them appear to be scary and extremely painful which is certainly not true, especially not with an experienced dentist such as Dr. Huang performing the treatment! A root canal should not have any more discomfort than a regular procedure such as a crown or filling. Dr. Huang specializes in pain-free dentistry and will make the process as smooth and comfortable for you as possible. The process will go as follows:
1) Dr. Huang will place a q-tip with novocaine on the area of the gum that will be numbed. He will then numb the area by injecting novocaine into the gum. This ensures that you will be numb during the whole process and should not feel any discomfort or pain. He will then place a rubber dam in your mouth to ensure the area stays dry and saliva – free
2) Dr. Huang will then make an access opening into the tooth. He will place specialty tools into the tooth and remove any infection, bacteria, and dead nerves from the pulp chamber. Once the dead nerves are removed, the tooth is unable to feel any sort of pain
3) The canal is then cleaned out and disinfected with antibacterial cleaners.
4) The tooth will then be filled with a rubber material, also known as gutta-percha. The material is reactive with heat and will then disperse into the tooth, ensuring it will fill any spaces completely.
5) A temporary crown or filling will then be placed onto the tooth until the permanent crown is placed onto the tooth at a later appointment.
6) Instructions given from your dentist will need to be properly administered. Taking good care of your tooth especially while it has a temporary crown or filling is crucial to make sure something doesn’t happen to the tooth requiring more work and maybe an extraction of the tooth.
Are there benefits for getting a root canal?
Yes. Many patients who choose to have a root canal done, often save time and money from not having to go to the dentist repeatedly, can protect their other teeth from shifting which often happens after a tooth is removed, and they get to keep their natural smile with their original tooth. A root canal can be the best option for many patients who want to save their tooth and not have an extraction done.
Are you considering having a root canal done? Contact All In One Dental today!
Call All In One Dental Innovations today at (925) 828-9811 to set up a consultation to determine if a root canal is a good option for you. You can also contact us by requesting an appointment online.
All In One Dental is located at 7046 Dublin Blvd, Dublin, CA 94568